A new talented producer is in town and you better watch out for him because I predict he’ll become the next big thing. You have been warned!
Young producer, and hottie (hello photo above!), Justin Caruso proved he had that Midas touch when his debut single “Talk About Me”, released earlier in 2017, racked up over one million streams on Spotify. Now, California’s very own Justin is proving that he can be so much more than a guy who can bring in the heavy sales; he wants the world to know that he is also a guy with a big heart (literally melting… is he single? lol). His brand new single “Love Somebody”, featuring vocals from up-and-coming singer Chris Lee, will see all of its proceeds go to the American Civil Liberties Union. And you know what? Besides being a charity song, “Love Somebody” is also a good song! That dance-pop production courtesy of Justin Caruso is just everything and more (could totally pass as a production from any worldwide renowned DJ/producer. I told you, this guy’s got it!).
And it’s not only me who thinks Justin Caruso is destined for great things. People like The Chainsmokers and Meghan Trainor have publicly expressed their love for him!
Direct Lyrics recently caught up with Justin for an exclusive interview and we discussed our current obsession (“Love Somebody”), his incipient journey as a producer, getting that smash hit with “Talk About Me” on Spotify, what his next move will be, or who his dream collaboration is with!
To all my fellow producers I just released the acapella for "Love Somebody" Stoked to hear your remixes! https://t.co/RzSGpYeFOg— Justin Caruso (@Justin_Caruso) 13 de junio de 2017
1. Hi Justin! Where are you answering this Q&A from and how has your day been like thus far?
Doing great, thanks for having me. I'm currently answering these from my home studio in Los Angeles.
2. Where did you learn your production skills? You’re really good at it!
I taught myself a lot from YouTube videos and then I learned a bunch from shadowing other producers and having them give me some tips - guys like Lost Kings, Kap Slap, Two Friends, 3LAU.
3. You recently released a new single titled “Love Somebody” featuring vocals from Chris Lee. For those out there who haven’t listened to the song yet (but must do so immediately after this interview), how would you describe both the lyrics/story of the song and its sound?
The lyrics and the story of the song are about the hardships of a relationship, but at the end of the day those are things worth tolerating if you really love (somebody) that person. The sound is definitely a cross between pop and dance, which I made a focus of the track.
4. How happy are you with Chris Lee’s vocal execution in your song? He killed it, right? And, how did you two guys meet?
Yeah he did a fantastic job! And funny enough, we actually met on Facetime through our managers. We ended up facetiming, hitting it off, and writing the song that same day.
5. Proceeds from “Love Somebody” will go to the American Civil Liberties Union. So besides being a song with a good message, it’s a song for a good cause. How do you feel about this?
3LAU is one of my good friends and I wanted to do this release with him for that exact reason. I find it amazing that I can do something I love and give back at the same time.
6. Your previous single, and debut, “Talk About Me” was a big success for you earlier this year; racking up over 1 million streams on Spotify and going #2 on Hypem, and #2 on SoundCloud Dance. How did you react to the love the song received?
I was so happy with how my first release went. I was definitely in shock, but also really believed in the song. It has definitely inspired me to continue to work on more and more music. It's one thing to have fans like your remix, but it was a whole new experience seeing the way they reacted to my first original production.
7. Any plans to release an EP or more new songs in the near future? What’s next for you? We’ve been left with the craving for more!
I'm currently working on five or six more singles along with a few other remixes. I'm really excited about the stuff I'm working on, and looking forward to showing everyone my new content. I also have a few big shows coming up like SummerFest in Milwaukee and Billboard Hot 100 in New York.
8. How does it feel when big stars such as Meghan Trainor or The Chainsmokers show public support for your work?
It's incredible! I've always looked up to these people so to have them supporting my music really gives me that validation and confidence to keep working away.
9. What songs from other artists are you playing a lot these days on your Apple Music/Spotify account? A top 5?
1. 22 over soon - Bon Iver. Bon Iver is one of my favorite bands, and the way Justin Vernon uses his voice has always inspired me especially with vocal chops in my songs.
2. Rollin - Calvin Harris. Calvin has always been a massive influence for me and I love the style of funk music he is incorporating in his new album.
3. Coming Home - Leon Bridges. Leon is one of my favorite artists in the world, when you listen to him you feel like you're taking a step back in time. It would be a dream come true to work with him.
4. It Won't Kill Ya - The Chainsmokers. The Chainsmokers have become great friends and have supported my music for the last couple of years. I think their new album is one of the best albums I've heard in a long time and I'm addicted to this song. Two of the most talented dudes I know.
5. Here Comes The Night (NGHTMRE Remix) - DJ Snake. Nghtmre has also become one of my good friends and every song he touches turns to gold. This one is an awesome song to play out at shows as well as just listening to while driving.
10. With whom would be your dream collaboration? And if that moment ever occurs, how do you imagine your song to be like?
My dream collaboration would be Porter Robinson. There is a lot of Porter influence in my music especially with our vocal chops and piano work, so I don't think the song would sound too different to the music he is releasing today. He is one of the most talented artists on earth, so it would be an honor to work with him and learn from him, too.
11. Thank you for your time, Justin! Any last thing you would like to share with our readers?
I would just like to thank everyone supporting my music and I can't wait to show you all what Im working on. You can follow me on snapchat @carusomusic I'm always uploading previews of new music on there and doing giveaways!
Pink - "Beautiful Trauma": Album LyricsPopular Post
Eminem Destroys Trump With Freestyle At 2017 BET Hip Hop Awards: VideoPopular Post
Rita Ora Is The Queen Of NYC In "Anywhere" Music Video: Premiere6 hours ago
Jessie Ware - "Glasshouse": Album Lyrics8 hours ago
Liam Payne Fails To Meet Expectations With New Single "Bedroom Floor"9 hours ago
Mariah Carey Premieres Christian Anthem "The Star": Stream Audio9 hours ago
Stream Taylor Swift's Catchy New Song "Gorgeous" Now9 hours ago
Charlie Puth Does A Funny Dance In "How Long" Music Video: Watchone day ago
Naughty Boy & Joe Jonas Join Forces In New Song "One Chance To Dance"one day ago
Rita Ora Serves Unexpected Bop In New Single "Anywhere": Streamone day ago
Kygo Premieres New Single "Kids In Love": Stream Audioone day ago
Kelly Clarkson Premieres New Album Title Track "Meaning of Life"one day ago
Niall Horan - "Flicker": Album Lyricsone day ago
Camila Cabello To Make "Havana" Bigger With Daddy Yankee Remix!one day ago
Cardi B Slays "Bodak Yellow" Live Performance On "Jimmy Kimmel": Watchone day ago
Maroon 5 Premiere ASAP Rocky-Assisted New Song "Whiskey": Streamone day ago
Maroon 5 Share Teaser Of New Song "Girls Like You": Check It Out!2 days ago